Monday, October 1, 2012

Book Review: Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross


Goodreads Summary:
Mirabelle's past is shrouded in secrecy, from her parents' tragic deaths to her guardians' half-truths about why she can't return to her birthplace, Beau Rivage. Desperate to see the town, Mira runs away a week before her sixteenth birthday—and discovers a world she never could have imagined.

In Beau Rivage, nothing is what it seems—the strangely pale girl with a morbid interest in apples, the obnoxious playboy who's a beast to everyone he meets, and the chivalrous guy who has a thing for damsels in distress. Here, fairy tales come to life, curses are awakened, and ancient stories are played out again and again.

But fairy tales aren't pretty things, and they don't always end in happily ever after. Mira has a role to play, a fairy tale destiny to embrace or resist. As she struggles to take control of her fate, Mira is drawn into the lives of two brothers with fairy tale curses of their own . . . brothers who share a dark secret. And she'll find that love, just like fairy tales, can have sharp edges and hidden thorns.

My Review:

      OMG! That was kind of sick! I used to LOVE and devour every fairytale as a kid but this... this book just showed me the rotten side of it in real life. God, I don't know what to think of it. I have to admit that it was amazing but wrong, you know when you feel that something is wrong, like it shouldn't even exist - I know I'm exaggerating here but seriously!

     I started reading this book not expecting this type of fairy tales involved so this isn't your average re-telling of fairy tales, the author added this huge, incredibly brilliant twist on it that I can only admire enough. So basically, in Beau Rivage, fairy tales are people's curses. So from Cinderella  to The Sleeping Beauty to The Beauty & the Beast, those fairy tales of ours became the lives of those people so the coolest thing is that they know their fate before it happens but happy endings are not... as happy in of our modern world, it was their curses as I said. But as Mira arrives in Beau Rivage on a mission, she falls with the relativly wrong kind of people, unpurdosedly indulging herself into in their world and secrets that would appear to be anything but normal. 

     Mira... God! She was naive and some of her actions were just provocative - at least to me - but still I liked her enough. Nonetheless, I really liked the unpredictable plot, the unique storyline and the authenticity of the characters, like if something like this was real, I'd be sure to find them all there, hanging in the Gingerbread coffee shop ;) Blue, who also appeared as a don't-come-near-me-I-can-bite-you type of guy, in heart he was kind and had some reasons behind his actions and I just adored him - just not the blue hair though - and I enjoyed the banter between him and Mira and how everything developed between them . But as the book comes to an end, there was surprisingly a happy/hasty ending that I felt was okay but good ;)

     And I also really wanted to know what was Felix's fate was, I mean if the author ever decided to write a sequel, she'll be sure to find me and many others eagerly waiting for her but that doesn't mean that this wasn't cruel, what would a child do if he knew that a book like this existed :P However, the world-building was subtle and well put together, Sarah Cross knew what she was doing here that she kinda nailed it for a collab of fairy tales but just minus the the third person state that was the book was written in.

     Overall, I didn't really fully enjoy this book but then there was something enthralling about the story and the characters, it was just heart-wrenching, exquisite and purely clever. I mean this book can always be a hit or miss but for me it leaned more toward being a hit! because I liked it but the story was just sad and sad in something that brought me a smile on my face as a kid and until now - fairy tales - so if you love fairy tales, than I BET that you wouldn't wanna miss this one and although you might not necessarily enjoy it as much, you WILL like it, you'll preserve it as something that won't fall into the category of normal, it will have it's own shelf - the I-don't-belong-anywhere-normal shelf, at least that's where it is for me ;) Recommend it! But only if you like fairy tales - I'm warning you ;)

Title: Kill Me Softly
Author: Sarah Cross
Series: Stand-alone
Published: April 10th 2012 by EgmontUSA

Source: Owned
Links: Goodreads | Amazon
Rating: 4/5


PS: I just started a new school last week so it has been insanely crazy for me lately that I don't have enough time to write my reviews - or sleep - so sorry about that but I'm working on it and I have some really awesome books coming on the way ;)

Happy Studying!
xoxo, Mariam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, you honestly just made my day ;)

I read each and every comment and I really appreciate sharing your thoughts with me guys! So it always makes me happy to hear from you ;) I will try my best to reply and comment back on your own blog so expect me to visit you soon ;)

*PS: This is now an award free blog and although I really apperciate it and I thank you for considering me but fulfilling these types of posts turns out to be really hard and time consuming :( *

But thank you for stopping by and welcome to Book-A-Holic!
xoxo, Mariam

NOTE: I haven't been commenting on other blogs lately because my laptop's charger is broke so until I get a new one I am using another computer but I guess there is something wrong with it because I can't leave comments on other blogs at all so sorry about that but I'll try and fix that asap. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow on Bloglovin