Sunday, March 31, 2013

Book Review: Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Synopsis:
Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."


If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all.

My Review:

   Honestly, I was blown away reading this book and I just seem to not have the right words to describe how AWESOME this story was. It actually became an inevitable fact that I'm not planning on missing any future books written by Katie McGarry even if it's about mice because I know that she will probably make another masterpiece with her super power in writing and creating stories ;)

   In Dare You To, the story follows Beth - whom admittedly I kind of found unnecessary in Pushing the Limits - but surprisingly I was taken aback by how much was behind her and by the intensity of her character and life. Her character might seem rather repellent at first but she was actually really lovable and sweet, her character was complicated as well as her role as the heroine of the book where all the focus was on her, it will the readers think about her more than once. I personally was able to feel for her and had a strong connection with her throughout the story. Moreover, this book was written from the POV's of both Beth and Ryan and believe me, it was remarkably engrossing to see it through both of their eyes. And Ryan... GOD! He, I fell in love with him despite the jerk that he was at the beginning but seemed like my type of guy, he wasn't a criminal or a wrestler, he was normal and as the story unfolds, he started to shine out more and more, his kindness and sweetness, not to forget how incredibly charming he was when it came to Beth.. Uhhh! I can't say enough about him, about both of them actually.

   About the romantic aspect of the story, needless to say that of course it was nothing less than perfect, and heart-wrenching. The book however, might not be necessary be a sequel but still, I strongly recommend reading Pushing the Limits first, or you would be missing out by not reading both of them, although, just so you know, Noah and Echo were only present in a couple of scenes, nothing huge.

   Overall, this masterpiece of Katie McGarry's entered my must-read books shelf. The story was exquisitely and subtly written, making it possible for the book to engulf you. Riveting, engrossing storyline that was incredibly hard to put down. It was fully charged with powerful emotions that I had an overwhelmingly pleasant time reading it and not to forget the spellbinding relationship between Beth & Ryan. Definitely going to re-read it sometime in the future but right now can't wait to read her next book which is going to be about Isaiah, Crash Into Me! A HIGHLY recommended read for everyone!

Title: Dare You To
Author: Katie McGarry
Series: Pushing The Limits
Release Date: June 7th 2013 by Harlequin Teen
Source: Netgalley ( For Review )
Links: Goodreads | Amazon
Rating: 6/5 ( Because it was that amazing ;D )


Similar To Dare You To:


Other ( Awesome ) Books by Katie McGarry:

*Thanks to NetGalley & Harlequin Teen for providing me with an e-copy!*

Happy Reading!
xoxo, Mariam

1 Comments:

Maycee Greene said...

If you enjoyed Pushing the Limits, then I think you'll like Dare You To. We get the same writing as before with characters we've already met. You don't need to have read Pushing the Limits to be able to read this. A heavier YA contemporary, Dare You To touches on many different emotions. As good as the first yet different enough not to be repetitive. Filled with romance, betrayal, loss and sacrifice, hope and love win in the end.

Maycee Greene (Search Engine Optimization Dallas)

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, you honestly just made my day ;)

I read each and every comment and I really appreciate sharing your thoughts with me guys! So it always makes me happy to hear from you ;) I will try my best to reply and comment back on your own blog so expect me to visit you soon ;)

*PS: This is now an award free blog and although I really apperciate it and I thank you for considering me but fulfilling these types of posts turns out to be really hard and time consuming :( *

But thank you for stopping by and welcome to Book-A-Holic!
xoxo, Mariam

NOTE: I haven't been commenting on other blogs lately because my laptop's charger is broke so until I get a new one I am using another computer but I guess there is something wrong with it because I can't leave comments on other blogs at all so sorry about that but I'll try and fix that asap. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow on Bloglovin